Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Will the Real Disney Princess Please Stand Up?

Every bride wants to feel like a princess on her wedding day.  Lucky for brides all around the world, Alfred Angelo has made a Disney Princess gown collection.  Say whaaaaaaa? I know right! Now we don't have to go to a HUGE gown store looking for a "Cinderella" gown.  We can just get the one Alfred Angelo made! YIPPEE!!!  However, upon further investigation, I don't think some of their gowns hit the nail on the head. Some I completely agree with when it comes to matching the Disney Princess.  However, some fall short.  Let's compare.


Ariel
Ariel was a mermaid, as we all should know, who used a spell to become a human.  As her human self, she wore the below gown.  Poofy sleeves, ball gown style dress, simple detail.
Ariel in wedding gown via Disney Clipart
Alfred Angelo had a different take on Ariel.  He went with a mermaid style gown to go with Ariel's pre-human form.  Makes sense.  A gown that actually looks like Ariel's wedding gown would not fit today's styles.  However making a MERMAID style gown would.  He perfected it by adding ocean-esque style details like pearls and sequins to really give the dress a distinct, princess-y feel.
Ariel gown by Alfred Angelo
I personally love this gown.  I think it really embodies Ariel.  This gown is a thumbs up, way to go Alfie.
Jasmine
Jasmine was the dark, exotic Disney Princess.  For Jasmine's wedding, her dress was long, kind of form fitting, and for a cartoon quite detailed.  She had big, bulky jewelry to add to her look.
Jasmine via Truffle Shuffle
Again, Alfred Angelo went with more of a dress that embodied who Jasmine was, not what she wore on her big day with Aladdin.  While I do like the gown he designed, I feel it was more Grecian inspired.  I am not sure how I would have designed a gown for Jasmine, but I am not sure if I would have done this.
Jasmine via Alfred Angelo
I do like the jeweled neckline.  I think that goes very well with the Jasmine look.

Sleeping Beauty a.k.a. Aurora
Aurora is my absolute favorite princess.  Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney movie.  So when it came time to buy my wedding gown and I found out there was a Disney Princess collection, I figured I wouldn't even have to shop around.  I KNEW I wanted to be Aurora on my wedding day.  Sans the pink though.
Aurora via Disney Clips
I don't know what it is about Aurora, but I LOVE her.  I will get in heated debates over which princess is best.  However, when it comes to the Sleeping Beauty gown, I will not fight to the death to defend its honor.
Sleeping Beauty gown via Alfred Angelo
Oh Alfie, why did you do this to me? The top of the gown is VERY pretty, but the bottom? I don't understand.  Aurora was classy, sweet, naive, and beautiful.  And you gave her this? *sigh* Sad day for me.  Turns out I don't get to be Aurora for my wedding day.  That silly skirt ruined it.

Tiana
I don't know anything about this princess.  Sadly I did not watch "The Princess and the Frog", so I will just show the dresses.
Princess Tiana via Dr Jays
Tiana via Alfred Angelo
I actually heart this dress.  I think it's really cute.  I like that the pin tucks are not over done, I like the one shoulder, the sweetheart neckline, and the sparkles.  Do I know if it matches Princess Tiana's style? Nope sure don't.  What do I know? Its a heck of a lot better than that Sleeping Beauty monstrosity.

Cinderella
Ahh, the princes everyone refers to when they want to describe their dream wedding.  You hardly ever hear "I want to feel like Belle", it's always "I want to be Cinderella on my wedding day".  She is the epitome of a princess.  Rags to riches, nothing to everything.  Aahhhhh, Cinderella.
Cinderella via Disney Dreaming
With her beautiful ballgown dress and elegant updo, it's no wonder everyone sees her as the perfect bridal inspiration.  Alfred Angelo took a big risk by designing a dress and naming it after this epic princess.
Cinderella via Alfred Angelo
Oh...muh...gawd.  I LOVE this gown.  I think it is everything Cinderella embodies.  Poofy, yet understated.  Sweetheart neckline with elegant detail.  The skirt even has glitter in it.  It is a very pretty gown and definitely fits Cinderella's personality.  Winning.

Belle
Belle, from Beauty and the Beast, is best known for her poofy yellow gown with gatherings and ruffles.  It's such a pretty gown!
Belle via The Disney Wiki
So cutesie!! I love her in that gown! I love the over the shoulder shawl...LOVE LOVE LOVE Belle and her pretty gown.  Alfred Angelo REALLY incorporated a lot of Belle into his gown.
Belle via Alfred Angelo
Um, yes please!! He embodied all the things that I think of when I think of Belle.  Poofy skirt, capped sleeves, gathering in the skirt.  I LOVE this gown and I LOVE that it is TOTALLY BELLE!  Touche Alfie, you win.

Snow White

Snow White, the fairest princess of all.  What is she known for? Pale skin, eating an apple, and living in a forest with dwarfs.  She is the original Disney Princess, so her gown should be original.
Snow White via Disney Wiki
This would be a hard princess to design a dress for because she pretty much wears the same thing during the whole movie. So the design of her dress had to be more off of her personality and the movie plot line as opposed to what Snow White actually wears.


Snow White via Alfred Angelo
I like this one.  A detail one wouldn't know without reading the Alfred Angelo website is that the flowers on the dress are organza apple blossoms.  Therefore bringing in the infamous apple from the fairy tale.

There are two others by Alfred Angelo that just came out.  There is Cinderella Platinum and Rapunzel.  You can see pictures of the gowns at Alfred Angelo Rapunzel and Alfred Angelo Cinderella Platinum.  They're pretty dresses, but not sure what the need to redo the Cinderella dress was.  

All in all, I like that Alfred Angelo stood up and made this collection.  I think most of these princesses would be proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment