Thursday, September 15, 2011

Moneyhoon

When it came time to plan the honeymoon, I immediately knew where I wanted to go. Since I was 14, I have dreamed of going to Bora Bora.  That is always where I wanted my destination wedding/honeymoon.  I always wanted to see that crystal blue water, with a bungalow over the sea and a glass bottom.  Yup, I had my honeymoon all planned out.  I even owned the Bora Bora perfume set by Liz Claiborne.  I was officially obsessed.




Well, that dream was squished.  It dawned on me that I was NOT made of money and at a nightly rate of $500 plus, I would only be able to afford one night on my dream island.  That is not long enough.  Since my engagement is so short, a mere 8 months, that was not enough time to save for the honeymoon I have imagined since I was young.  So sadly I had to say goodbye to my glass bottom cabana and look for other options.  


New and most recent obsession for a dream vacation? BELIZE Y'ALL!  Very quickly I investigated Belize. My obsession with that country is their infamous "blue hole".  Am I a professional scuba diver? Nope sure am not.  Have I ever been scuba diving? No, have not done that either. So why would I want to go to a location that is mainly for scuba divers?  BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS PLACE!







Holy banana breath batman! THAT PLACE IS UH-MAZING!  It has everything I want in a honeymoon.  Beautiful scenery, ocean with clear water, and even a little adventure!  They have ruins, forests, old cities, and the list goes on and on.  This place is beautiful.  Weird that nobody really ever talks about it. Then reality set in again.  Still out of my price range.  Not Bora Bora expensive, but more than Chuck E Cheese expensive.  Hmph.  Pity party aisle one for this girl.  I REALLY wanted Belize.  Oh well, in the words of Jay-Z its on to the next. 


Next up? HAWAII!!!  Haula-aaaaaay Haula-ooooooo (thats the hula song, fyi)




PERFECT!  I would still get my "tropical forest" feel and the crystal blue water.  This seemed like the most amazing honeymoon.  We wouldn't need a passport, it had EVERYTHING we were looking for, and in January it won't be cold.  MAGNIFICO! We found it.  So I started looking online, found a travel agent, and told her our dates and what we were looking for. She got us a rental car, hotel, and flight.  All for just under $6000!  Um...come again?




Yeah, uh, sorry miss travel agent lady, looks like I was just kidding about booking that trip.  Turns out I am uh, allergic to Hawaii, they have a, uh, bug down there that will make me die.  So, uh...go ahead and cancel that, kthanks.


After turning down three beautiful options, I got a little discouraged.  Aren't honeymoons supposed to be the thing that relaxes you after months of hectic wedding planning?  Pretty sure I was going to have a coronary after looking at honeymoon spots.  Why are vacations so expensive?  This isn't fair.  Poor people deserve honeymoons too. I should get some kind of scholarship for being a hard worker and being poor so that I get a discount on my honeymoon.  Do those exist?  No?  This is complete shenanigans.


Deep Inhale.  Ok, I know I'm being dramatic.  




While I would ADORE to go to those places, I put my "I have all the money in the world" mentality aside and realized there were a LOT of reasonably priced options out there for us.

  1. A minimoon.  We could go to Colorado where I have family and spend time in the snow and mountains. That would be fun and we could DEFINITELY cuddle there since it will be freezing.  More reason to drink cocoa and use my snuggie.
  2. A trip to Orlando, FL to go to "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter".  This would rock my socks off.  I am obsessed with Harry Potter.  Not the man, the story.  When Eric and I first started dating, we had five weeks until the newest Harry Potter would come out. I made sure that once a week we watched one of the first 6 Harry Potter movies so that on opening day he could take me to see the new one.  So I guess you could say Harry Potter is kind of our thing.  So this would be an AWESOME honeymoon.  Downside? It won't be awesome weather.  Neither hot nor cold...just bleh.
  3. A cruise.  Due to Eric's school schedule it would be hard to find a cruise in our price range, in our timeline, leaving from the port we would need, and going places we want, but it IS a possibility.  Cruises are amazing bargains.  We would get:
    1.  The ocean (which I want)
    2. Multiple locations
    3. Ability to be around multiple people but also just be alone if we wanted
    4. Excursions at the ports
So, there you have it. All (most) options considered when choosing our honeymoon.  After two tubs of twizzlers downed and many "woe is me", we have a honeymoon and I am very excited! I'll discuss the honeymoon we chose later.  It would be too much reading for one post.

No comments:

Post a Comment