Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hair Dont's

My hair and makeup for the wedding day is one thing I am very nervous about.  I feel like no matter how gorgeous the dress and accessories are, hair mishaps can REALLY ruin a wedding day look.  After perusing a couple (thousands) of pictures, I realized I have more ideas of what I DON'T want than what I actually do.  Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Shouldn't I have millions of inspirational pictures that drive my stylist nuts because I want a combination of all the pictures that is impossible to do?  "I want it down to show my length, up to show off my cheek bones, side swoop because that's what looks best on me, curls because it looks elegant, but straight because I look better with straight her. I also want it to be poofy to look "bridal" but flat so I don't look like a poodle.  I like gems to add sparkle, but not too many because I want to look mature.  I also like side buns.  So...do that. Kthanks".  I would walk out like this:




"Oopsies...guess I didn't communicate well.  This is absolutely disgusting.  Why didn't you understand my vision?" Sad Stylist would say, "this is exactly what you wanted. Now give me my $100000 for your bridal updo which is priced significantly higher than normal updos."  I usually am a glass half full type of person (that may be a liiiiiittle false), but I am severely paranoid about my wedding day look.  I just see it being a disaster.  I don't know if my expectations are too high or if I just have that "I want to feel like a princess" mentality, but I do know that choosing a hair style seems to be harder than selecting my gown.


Here are my dont's regarding my hair.



Couture - On the runway it looks FANTASTIC.  I always look at models and think that their completed look is the most amazing thing in the entire world.  I sit in front of my TV watching "America's Next Top Model" and just WISH I had their hairstylists to do my hair on a daily basis.  However, in reality, I am NOT a model and my wedding will NOT be in New York during fashion week.  Also, Tyra Banks will not be attending. So, realistically, the couture look is out because it's absolutely not feasible for a normal, non-fashionista wedding.

Tight Twists - I am VERY against the "high school prom" style updos.  I don't get the allure behind them.  I feel like MAYBE in high school it was ok, but for my wedding I want a more relaxed look.  Hairstyles that are that "hairsprayed" look like they'll give me a headache in about fifteen minutes.  Everybody has their own style, but this one is just NOT me
Lots of Tiny Accessories - No offense to those who choose this look, but I think it looks like dandruff.  I get the allure behind this look, it looks pretty whimsical.  But to me, the amount of time it would take to add the accessories would not be worth it. Also, if using flowers, I feel like this would cause a HUGE problem with my allergies and by the end of the night, I would need a whole bottle of shampoo to get out the little bits of flower that are left.  I also am not a huge fan of sticking random gems all over my head.  My OCD would kick in and I would need them to be spaced evenly around my head and I would end up looking like a "connect the dots" game.

Princess Updo with Tiara - I am not sure what to call this style of look, but I tried.  I don't like the tight, high bun on top of the head with a tiara.  I am NOT a princess.  There is a way to feel like a princess without having to say "LOOK AT THIS TIARA ON THE TOP OF MY HEAD! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! I AM THE BRIDE! SEEEEEEEEE?!?!?"  I want my wedding look to be flowy, and I feel that this type of updo is the complete opposite.  While I do believe that some tiaras look very nice, I think when paired with an over-the-top updo, they end up looking a little cliche. 
 Overboard of Accessories - I understand that wedding shopping is a TON of fun.  If I could pick out everything I wanted, I would have 15 dresses, 24 pairs of shoes, 8 necklaces, and 4 sets of earrings.  However, that is not a reasonable amount of items to have for one wedding.  So when it comes to hair accessories, I do NOT want to have every item that catches my eye to be in my hair.  

With all of my dont's (the list does go on), I feel like it's going to be VERY hard to find my perfect style.  I want to feel elegant, yet understated.  I want the hair to be able to last through a monsoon, yet not look hairsprayed.  I want to have a lot of sparkle in my hair, but not look sparkly.  I want to show off my length, yet be short to keep me from overheating.  Makes sense right?

Like I said earlier, I think the hair and makeup is VERY important to help achieve a bride's overall look for the wedding.  It stresses me out, but at the same time isn't even close to the top of the list of wedding priorities.  I am afraid that without a distinctly clear vision of what I want to look like, I'll end up looking like my usual, hot mess self.


No comments:

Post a Comment