Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Must Love Dogs

I have three dogs.  They are all very special.  Each I rescued.  They all have their own personalities and I even think two might be lovers (emotionally).  While they are menacing little creatures, they put a smile on my face very often.  When they're not going to the bathroom all over the house and tearing up toys, they're either laying with me or sitting on the floor by my feet.  I am a crazy dog lady.


My oldest dog is Lexus.  She is a miniature pinscher/who knows mix.  Maybe chihuahua?  Maybe daschund?  I don't know and neither did the rescue.  I got her from the SPCA when she was about a year and a half. That was September 2004.  In her first 1.5 years of life, she had been with at least three different homes.  All of her owners gave her up.  So since the very beginning, I knew she was the one for me.  I do not believe you should adopt a pet then return them.  When you take on that responsibility, they become a part of your family.  Maybe not your "dress them up like a baby" child type family, but your family nonetheless.  Lexus does, however, LOVE her doggie clothes.  If I go over to where her coats and sweaters are kept, she starts jumping in the air because she is SO excited to get dressed.  Like I said...my dogs are "special".


Her favorite spot, the fireplace
Lexus quickly became the family lap dog and would rather be on a person's lap than playing with another dog anyday.  She's a hot mess though.  Very grumpy (especially with old age) and very fat.  She has a sausage body with these little toothpick legs...not sure how she supports herself.  And her head is VERY tiny.  She is not proportional at all.  But I love her BIG eyes and floppy ears! She's mama's girl for sure!





Then there is Kia.  Kia joined my family in March 2010.  She was about 2.5 years old.  I picked her out by going on Petfinder.  I entered the search for a chihuahua/dashund mix and a bunch came up.  After flipping(virtually) through a bunch of pages on the site, I came across this white little chiweenie! She was absolutely adorable! Her name was Daphne and I contacted the rescue right away.  Luckily she was still up for adoption so I filled out my application and a couple weeks later drove an hour and a half to go pick her up! She was so scared and on the way home peed in her new crate. That's ok...I loved her immediately.



I was originally going to name her Shelby to keep with the whole "car motif", however her personality would put shame to the name Shelby.  She was scared, lazy, wouldn't come out of her crate for ANYTHING!  I had never seen a dog this AFRAID!  The poor thing has finally warmed up, and around JUST me she is a complete hoot.  However, she only feels comfortable around a select few people.  Whenever a stranger is around, she's hiding.  Not exactly my guard dog.





Kia is in love with Tank
The last animal to join the family is Tank.  I adopted him in November 2010.  He is a pitbull and is adorable.  He's a big, goofy, clumsy baby.  Kia and him have become BFF's.  She absolutely loves Tank.  Tank was destined to join the crew from the very beginning.  He is still in the vehicle class of names so that's destiny to me.




Tank is not the best with other large dogs, but he is GREAT with the girls.  He protects them, plays with them, and even gives up his giant bed so they can lay down.  He is not the most well behaved dog in regards to potty training, but his cute little face always puts a smile on mine.  







So there you have it.  Those are the three dogs that make up my little family.  And now in future posts you can put a face with the name if I mention one of them.  They are all unique and all very interesting.  I would not call any of them a normal dog, they're kind of handfuls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment