Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Purse-ing It Up

Here is a decision I never thought I would have to make regarding my wedding.  Do I do a money dance?  


I have had my coordinator and DJ ask me that question and at the time I said I don't know.  However, while reading my ever faithful Wedding Bee, I saw a post where a bride was wondering the same thing.  Should she do a money dance?  And it made me realize I only have a month and a half before my wedding and I need to make this decision.  Why do I need to make it so soon?  Well first of all, I'll need a purse, something I originally opted out of because I figured I would lose it.  Secondly, I'll need to tell my coordinator so she can put it in the timeline.


What is a money dance?  Basically guests give money to dance with the bride.  It's a fun way for the couple to make money for their honeymoon and also gives guests one on one time with the bride which is hard to come by.  Once you give money for a dance, you dance with the bride until someone else gives money.  I have a feeling this could turn into a competition with my friends and family, but a FUN competition.


It's not a big deal either way.  But it is something I need to consider.  There are a few downsides.  First, what if nobody pays...and I just stand there...alone...rejected by my guests.  


Second, I look like a fool when I dance.  If people are paying to dance with me, they should get a good dancer.  Not this.
Last downside is that I really don't know if I want people to feel obligated to give us even more than they already have.  While I know this is a fun tradition in many cultures, I don't know if it's worth it to seem like we expect even more from our guests.


I think our deciding factor will be whether or not it is something that either of our families think is appropriate.  If it turns out that one of our family members thinks this is part of their culture, we'll do it.  Otherwise, I think we'll decide this isn't for us.  But who knows, it's always nice to have some more money.



No comments:

Post a Comment