Monday, October 3, 2011

I'm Leaving, On a Jet Plane

This past weekend I celebrated my one year anniversary with Eric.  I flew out to visit him for the weekend since he no longer lives in this area.  He greeted me at the airport, standing on the curb, holding a single red rose.  On his face was the BIGGEST smile, and if you've seen Eric smile, you know what I am talking about.  I am not usually into romantic type stuff like that, so naturally my first response was "Hey baby, you're a dork" but then I realized that wasn't very nice so I said "but I love you, dork."  There, I fixed it.  Yay me!


When I got into the car, I saw the other 11 roses that he had gotten me, so that's a little less dorky.  A full dozen somehow is a little less "dork-like" than one single rose.  Since I hadn't eaten all day, we decided to go to Chili's for lunch so I could get cheese fries.  As you have read in my previous I Showered post, I am a big fat fatty.  I LOOOOOVE junk food.  So since I was hungry, the thing I wanted most was bacon covered cheese fries. NOM NOM NOM!!
After lunch, we headed to the Halloween store.  Being the bad blogger/scrapbooker that I am, sadly we took NO pictures the entire weekend except one.  Oopsies...looks like for my scrapbook page I'll just be able to put my SouthWest confirmation number...and this.
Yeah, that's a goofy hat.  HA! Goofy hat! Get it! It's the animal Goofy but also just a goofy hat! No...not funny? Oh...ok, my bad.  Well, anywho, that's the only picture we took the entire weekend.  We went to the Halloween shop just to look around, we have actually had our costumes almost a month now so...we don't need another one.


After the Halloween store we went back to his apartment. Oh...muh...gawd.  It was like Joe's Apartment.  I can't believe only about a month and a half without a woman's touch made the apartment look like it turned into an episode on Hoarders.
Ok ok ok, it wasn't THAT bad.  It was more just like a college man's apartment/dorm.  Not vacuumed, not organized, no decorations.  It drove me NUTS! I know I'm a little obsessed with having a clean home and I know I get a little TOO into decorating and making a house feel "homey", but this...THIS was outta control.  Books everywhere, random pennies on the floor, clothes on the counter in his bedroom that were clean but just not put away, it was a hot mess.  We hung out for a little while and while he was studying, I played with Tank.  While I was playing with Tank I noticed some blood on the floor. Just a tiny spot. So I looked at my hands to see if I was bleeding and noticed I wasn't.  Then I noticed ANOTHER spot, so I made Tank lay on his back and I inspected his paws.  In doing so, I noticed there was a nail he must have gotten caught on something because it was completely broken and even had part of the nail just hanging there.  It was bleeding so I immediately told Eric we needed to go to the pet store.  Poor Tankies. 
Well, while we were out I took it as my opportunity to get a BUNCH of cleaning supplies and decor for his apartment.  I even bought him a vacuum.  FANCY DAY!  We went to Target, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Wal Mart.  It was AMAZING! My apartment has all the decor it could possibly need.  In fact, sometimes I even get sad that I can't get more wall or counter decor.  It makes me upset to not get to completely redo my apartment theme every week.  So I took this opportunity to let my creativity run...well jog.  I couldn't let it go running too far because we are kinda saving for a wedding here.
Since I did a horrible job of taking photos, I cannot show you our shopping excursion, but I can show you the vacuum I got him. We got the Bissell Cleanview Helix® Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner.  Why did we get it? Because Target had about three vacuums in our budget and we thought this one was the cutest. I liked the green.
Image via Target.com
After a couple hours of shopping for CRUCIAL items, we went back to the apartment and fixed Tank's paw and started cleaning! YAY!!! I actually really enjoyed it!  It was like a fresh start, it was a lot of fun.  We deep cleaned, reorganized, rearranged the kitchen, and vacuumed.  It was fantastic.  Probably not Eric's idea of a good way to spend a Friday night, but I thought it was amazing.  I was even SO proud of it that I texted pictures of my masterpiece to my best friends.  OH WAIT! That just reminded me we DID take a couple other pictures! I took pictures of the clean apartment! YAY!!!!  Here is my interpretation of a before picture.
And here are the AMAZING after photos that I took with my (not-so-amazing) iPhone camera.




The changes weren't too drastic, but with carpet powder, potpourri, candles, air fresheners, Halloween decorations, mirrored decorations above the mantle, candle holders, basket for mail, basket for coins, more candle holders, and cleaning supplies, you can REALLY change the way an apartment looks.  I actually REALLY enjoyed doing this and it felt SO good when it was all done. It felt like a home.  After our cleaning the place, we ordered pizza and watched "Bridesmaids"...BEST MOVIE EVER! It was like my fourth time seeing it, but it was his first so I tried not to ruin it.


Saturday we started the day at IHOP (got the country omelette with chocolate chip pancakes - NOM NOM NOM), finished decorating/cleaning and then we watched about seven episodes of the first season of "Rookie Blue" which is very good.  I am really into that show so I wanted to get Eric into it.


Those two pictures depict our Saturday morning/afternoon.  The plans for Saturday night were to go out to dinner to celebrate our official one year anniversary.  However, due to spending money on cleaning supplies/decorations, we decided to go cheap on dinner.  Luckily Eric's roommate was making dinner that night and offered to feed us.  So we said yes of course, or in true "Bridesmaids" fashion "help me, I'm poor".  From the plane scene...no...nobody? Well, it was funny. I recommend watching that movie.


That night after dinner we went out to a bar...or like a mega bar. It was five bars in one so no matter what style of music or atmosphere you like, they have it. We had a lot of fun.  We only went out for a few hours, then decided to call it a night since I had to leave the next morning.


Sunday morning we got up and took me to the airport where sadly I had to say goodbye.  It was an AMAZING weekend and although it's not what normal people would consider a great way to spend an anniversary, it was OUR anniversary and we did it the way we wanted to and it was perfect.  Our relationship is in no way normal, so why have a normal anniversary?  Luckily for us, he will be in town this coming weekend for TX/OU weekend! So we kind of get two anniversary weekends.  This weekend was the "one year after we met" anniversary and then next weekend is the "one year after the celebration that caused us to meet" anniversary.  So, GO US! I honestly wouldn't have changed a thing about our weekend. It was relaxing, fun, and totally our style.  I love you Eric and thank you for an amazing anniversary weekend! Cheers to many more to come! 

3 comments:

  1. Wait...THAT'S why we got that vacuum?? Well I guess it's a good thing that it's still a monster of a machine and will pick up almost anything.

    Oh and you might be going a bit overboard...the apartment wasn't THAT bad :)

    Thanks for the amazing, relaxing weekend Lemondrop! See you again real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet hat! Did you get it? Wear it to work if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ended up not getting the hat, our mission was apartment decor and cleaning supplies. That hat fit neither :(

    ReplyDelete