Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cakespiration

So it's no surprise to anyone that my wedding is peacock themed.  There is just something about that animal that I love.  And considering that the first gown I ever bought for a formal high school dance was "peacock" colored, I guess having a peacock themed wedding was destined to happen.  
My lovely sister Molly in the dress I wore as a junior in high school
Apparently it was in the stars to have a teal/blue/green wedding.  And the fact that we decided to have a winter wedding just confirmed that these dark colors would be perfect.  While I love the peacock theme, I did not want to go TOO overboard with the theme and make it look like a peacock threw up all over my wedding.  So when it came to my cake, I knew I wanted a 4-5 on the peacock scale.  Here are some of my inspiration pictures that I brought to my vendors.








The only thing I knew for certain was that I wanted the cake to be white.  I liked the idea of having designs on the cake, but I wanted the icing itself to be white and then maybe the detail in other colors.  As of when I did my initial research, the top two photos were my favorites.  I did, however, like certain aspects of the others.


There was a whopping list of two things I did NOT want on my wedding cake.  Fondant and "mad hatter" style.  Other than that, I was open to the designer suggestions.  I just knew I wanted a yummy cake that matched my theme without being "matchy matchy".  Here were some "Hecks-to-the-no's" that I am sure are great for other people, but not me.








Some of those cakes are beautiful and I am sure took a lot of time and talent to make, they're just not me.  I don't want my guests to have green mouths from eating the cake.  That would not make for pretty pictures.
My theme is peacock feather, Christmas, and fun. So I needed to make sure my cake matched that. With all the options out there it sure is easy to get overwhelmed.  My recommendation is to stick true to yourself.  Yes, a different cake may be gorgeous! But as a bride it's your responsibility to stick true to the style of wedding you want.  If I was to do a HUGE elaborate cake, it really wouldn't have matched the rest of the decor in my wedding and would have stuck out like a sore thumb.  
I cannot wait to see the finished design of our cake. I am very confident in the vendor we selected and after looking at about 100 peacock cakes, I feel like the simpler, the better.  The feathers are accessories to the main item, THE CAKE! NOM NOM NOM!



No comments:

Post a Comment