Thursday, August 25, 2011

Laid off, but not Paid off?

With less than 4 months to my wedding, I find out someone who was an integral part in helping pay for my wedding was laid off.  Cue freak out.
Luckily the wedding is ALMOST paid off.  Key word...ALMOST! I would say there is probably a quarter of the wedding left to pay. Not too big a deal, but still enough to add an unnecessary amount of stress onto any bride.  As if we don't have enough to worry about, now as a bride I have to worry about things like how I am going to get flowers for my bridesmaids and make sure I have shoes. (Every bride needs shoes)


To be honest, the only things I am particularly worried about now are the rehearsal dinner, bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts, and maybe little things to add to the wedding.  I am not TOO worried about paying off my vendors, so that's a good thing. (Bonus points to me for planning things and paying them off WAY in advance of the deadline)


I know lay offs happen, and sadly they happen to hardworking, deserving people at times.  It's just not something any bride wants to hear a mere 3.5 months before the big day. In my situation, the parties involved still want to do everything they can for this wedding.  That means so much to me and I am so lucky to have the support I have from my family and friends, but morally I feel more obligated than ever to find a way to do this myself.(It's all on me, this is the end of the world!) 


Here is how the brain of a bride works in this situation:

  • I feel like now I need to handle the wedding entirely on my own (although this is not true)
  • I feel the need to go above and beyond to make this a special day for those who were affected by this untimely turn of events
  • I feel the need to cancel the wedding as it seems like a completely unnecessary event to hold in times like these
  • I want to punch those responsible for the lay off in the face for doing this to someone who I feel didn't deserve it
  • I want to not eat any food because I feel like if I eat, those who cannot afford to eat will get even LESS food (yes this one is completely irrational)
  • I want to give all the money I receive for the wedding from friends to those affected by the lay off
  • I want to pay for EVERYTHING (hair, makeup, suit, dress, shoes, tie) for the affected parties that they need for my wedding day so they don't feel any added pressure
After much brainstorming, I did, however, come up with the below options to help me with this situation and still have the wedding of my dreams.
  1. Sell a kidney
  2. Sell BOTH kidneys
  3. Sell all of my belongings in a garage sale
  4. Stop being a drama queen and just cut back on my spending a little and allocate all extra funds to the wedding to pay it off
Pretty sure I know which one I'll do, but I would like your thoughts as well.  What would you do in my shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment