Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Our Way



This was our first year as a married couple for Valentine's Day.  When people think "Valentine's Day", they think romance, flowers, gifts, expensive dinners, and candles.  When they think "First married Valentine's Day", they think everything is even MORE romantic.  I don't disagree.  Valentine's Day is all about showing the person you are with that you love them.  It's a wonderful commercial holiday that reminds us when to be sweet to our partners.  Since I am a woman, I absolutely adore Valentine's Day. I mean come on, it's yet ANOTHER reason for my man to dote on me.


Naturally, I was very excited for our first married Valentine's.  However, after telling people what I was planning on doing for him, a lot of people gave me this look.
I think they were expecting a much grander display of affection.  When my response was "I'm baking cupcakes and then we're working out", I think people assumed I must hate the guy.  I thought it sounded like a perfect idea.  We could have sweets, work out (which is something we like to do) AND avoid the horrible waits at restaurants.  Win win win!  Turns out, people expect something like this at Valentine's Day. 
Not this
Well, I caved in a little and got what I thought was perfect Valentine's Day gifts for my man.  We ended up getting some champagne, pizza, and romantic comedies.  Then for his gift he got a pair of Texas Tech sweat pants (super romantic!!), cupcakes, and the most romantic amazing card you have ever seen.
 Not the most romantic gift ever, but at least I gave in and got "Valentine's-y" type things.  That counts for something.  Eric ended up getting me the best gift ever.  I know most girls would look at it and probably throw it at their man's face, but I LOOOOOOVED the gift! It shows how well he knows me, which is what matters to me on a holiday that celebrates love.
That's right, he got me a first aid kid, waterproof matches, Bear Grylls mini-survival kit, two battery-free flashlights, twizzlers, and Dove dark chocolate covered almonds!  What more could a woman ask for?


We ended up watching "What's Your Number" and "Something Borrowed", both were really good movies.  



I had an amazing Valentine's Day. And while most people would think the way we celebrated it and the gifts we gave are not traditional, that's fine.  We're not traditional people.  And now, when those people who judged us need help surviving during the apocalypse, they'll be begging for my help thanks to my handy dandy kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment