Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Top Chef: Puentes



Eric and I are obsessed with Top Chef. I mean, who isn't?  It' a show that combines food, drama, and reality TV...all things I love!  I love food so much, it's probably my best friend in the whole wide world. So naturally, I love shows that involve food, especially making food from scratch. That's not only awesome TV, but it also adds in a little supernatural. I mean come on, you give these people 30 minutes to cook a dish from fritos, bakes beans, candy corn, and flour and somehow they come up with this?
Ok not really, that's actually a rattlesnake taco thing they made.  But still, you get my point. I'm given just bread and a toaster and somehow this is what comes out.
So as you can see, my absolute love of food mixed with my absolute incompetence when it comes to cooking leads me to be obsessed with all things Top Chef.  Thanks to my obsession, I now compare all foods that I order to Top Chef creations.  I look at the plate and determine whether the judges would be happy with this meal.  Luckily, I am married to someone who plays along with me.  We did this a lot on the cruise.  We would look at our food and look for any mistake, like a drop of soup on the plate, and we would determine whether this would be appropriate for the judges.  Most of the time, we decide Padma would not be impressed.


So when it comes to me making our dinners every night, I feel sad every day because I know I would have to pack my knives and go home.  Good news is, I am slowly but surely beginning to cook. Lots of what I do now comes from simple chicken recipes and steamer bags as sides, but I know I'll get better. Not "Top Chef" better, but at least I think I would be able to make it through a quickfire at least once if I needed to...maybe.


So here are just two of the meals I have made lately.  The one I made from "scratch" (no steamer bags, and the other I made the side from a steamer bag.  I need to be a better blogger and take pictures of me in the process of making things. I think that would make for an interesting post!
Salmon Caesar pizza 
Lemon herb chicken, raw carrots, and alfredo pasta with veggies
The judges wouldn't approve of my plating, especially since the bottom picture is on a paper plate (major points would be deducted), but I think if they did a season called "Top Chef: Wives who burn toast", I would have a good chance at winning that season.

1 comment: