Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Old Wives Tales




I have been keeping track of the "old wives tales" and what the result SHOULD be regarding baby "X". Once the baby is born, I will compare to what the baby should be/look like to the real outcome. I think a lot of these are full of shenanigans. Some I hope are true, and some I don't see how anyone came up with them. It's like someone somewhere just grabbed things out of thin air. But that's what makes it fun! I love the guessing and I love the idea of this being a surprise. Anybody know of any that I forgot to add on here? I would love to be able to add to my table to give me more to "debunk" after the birth. 


Wives Tale
Description
My Result
How I carry
If you are carrying “high”, you must be having a girl. On the other hand, if you are carrying your baby “low”, it must be a little boy.
Girl
Baby’s Heart Rate
A fast heart rate (one over 140 beats per minute) is usually a girl. Heart rate below 140 beats per minute? The old wives tales say that you are having a boy.
Girl– Usually the HR is 150’s to 160’s. Rare occasions the HR is below 150.
Swinging Ring Test
If you tie your wedding ring to a string and hold it over your wrist or belly, if it swings circular it is a boy. Back and forth is a girl. Opposite is true for necklaces with pendants.
Girl
The Key Test
A friend or family member places a key in front of the pregnant woman and asks her to pick it up. If the pregnant lady grabs the key by the narrow end, it means a baby girl. However, if she grabs the key by the fat part, it means a boy is on the way.
I haven’t done this one, I think it’s silly. I feel like everyone would pick it up from the fat end. And now that I know this one, if someone tried to test me I would cheat. 
Cravings
If you’re craving sweets, you’re having a girl. Salty, meat, or cheese? Then a boy is on the way.
Girl

Oranges
If you dislike orange juice when you are pregnant, then you’re having a boy.
Girl
Nose width
If your nose is widening during pregnancy, then you’re having a boy.
Girl– everything is widening but I don’t think my nose is.
Dad’s weight gain
If the dad gains weight along with the mom, then it’s a girl. If the dad loses weight or gains minimally during the pregnancy, paint the nursery blue.
Girl– Eric blames this on less cardio. I think it’s our unborn baby doing it.
Math’s the Key
If the sum of your age at conception and the number of the month of conception is an odd number, then you’re having a girl. Even, a boy.
Boy 
Heartburn
If you have acid reflux/heartburn during pregnancy, then your baby will be born with a full head of hair. No heartburn? Bald baby!
Hairy baby!
Chinese Gender Chart
No description other than the crazy Chinese people made a chart to predict the gender of babies.
Girlaccording to most charts. Boy according to some.
Beauty
Acne: Yes = girl, no = boy
Dry hands: Yes = boy, no = girl
Cold feet: Yes = boy, no = girl
“Glowing”: Yes = boy, no = girl
Girl
Boy 
Girl
Girl
Morning sickness
Sick during the first trimester? Girl.  Easy breezy first trimester? Boy.
Girl– although my morning sickness wasn’t that bad, I did have it.
Sleeping
Sleeping on your right? A Girl is in sight. On your left? It’s a boy.
Girl
Legs
If your legs get really big, you’re having a boy.  If your legs stay in shape and lean, it’s a girl.
Boy – I am getting really big everywhere.
Moodiness
If you are really moody, you are having a girl since you have another extra girl hormones in you.  Your pregnancy will make you smile and be more happy if you are having a boy because there’s a little penis inside you.
Girl? Not sure. Some people would say I am extra moody. I would say, “I am just fat and uncomfortable and don’t have time for shenanigans.” So maybe Boy.  I don’t feel super moody.
Dreams
If you dream that you are having a boy, then you’re actually having a girl. Dreaming of pink? Then you’re having a boy.
Boy– all my dreams have been of girls.
Clumsy vs. Graceful
If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl.  If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy.
Boy…except I was clumsy before I got pregnant so not sure this one holds much weight.
Toddlers
If a toddler boy expresses interest in a pregnant woman, she is having a girl.  If he doesn’t show interest, she’s having a boy.
Girl– but not sure this one counts. Of course my toddler nephews show interest in me. I am awesome.
Intuition
They say that moms know what they’re having…
Girl– wishful thinking or intuition? I’ll find out in a couple months!
Headaches
If you’re having headaches, then you’re having a boy.
Boy – but I got headaches all the time before pregnancy so…

No comments:

Post a Comment