Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Needing Some Socks

I have noticed "cold feet" is not something you hear brides talking about.  They talk about the excitement, the vendors, the drama with the bridal party, etc., but not cold feet.  It's almost taboo to discuss cold feet.  If you discuss it, you risk looking like you're not dedicated, not in love, or even getting married for the wrong reasons.  People who are married don't seem to remember that they once had cold feet, and people who aren't married don't understand what it's like to fear your life changing forever.  When I say fear, I don't mean "OMG THIS IS THE WORST DECISION I EVER MADE!! HOW AM I GOING TO GET OUT OF THIS!!" but more like "How will I be as a wife?  Will I live up to the expectations?  How will it change me as a person to be married?"


I have noticed that it seems to be more common for men to admit to cold feet.  However, women get cold feet just as often.  Women are just more afraid to admit it.  Men see it as a normal right of passage.  Women see it as being a bad, naughty bride.
No, not this kind of naughty bride
In reading more about cold feet, aka pre wedding jitters, I learned it gets even MORE common 1-2 months out from the wedding date.  I hit my two month countdown on October 16...could explain my high levels of anxiety lately... and my crankiness.  Thankfully I decided to reach out to friends, my fiance, and the ever faithful Google to find out about cold feet.  I learned it's very common, it doesn't mean you are marrying the wrong person, and the cold feet go away.  


I read a really good article on The Knot.com that explained a lot about cold feet and even gave a REALLY good description of things that they feel are real reasons to call off or postpone a wedding.  Luckily, I suffer from absolutely none of those worries.  My worries stem most from just the anxiety of everything changing and the wedding fast approaching.  I am actually really glad I reached out to people and read on this topic because it's something that I really think you need to tell someone about.  When you voice it out loud that you're having doubts, you realize how stupid the doubts are.  To sit there saying "I love this person, we get along wonderfully, they're my best friend, they're always there for me, they will make a wonderful parent...but I am not sure I should marry them" really makes a person aware of the fact that what they're worrying about is normal and absurd.


Cold feet are normal and manageable, so just bring me a pair of socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment